Château Latour is a Premier Cru Classé estate in the commune of Pauillac. Rated as a first growth in the 1855 Classification. The estate dates to the early 14th century and was named after the fortified medieval 'Tour Saint Lambert'. The estate was bought at the start of the 18th century by the Segur family and was owned by them for three centuries. Nicolas-Alexandre Segur (known as the 'Prince of Vines') also purchased Mouton and Calon in 1718. The existing château was build in the mid-19th century. Francois Pinault bought Latour in 1993, hiring Frederic Engerer as winemaker (now its president). Latour decided to leave the en primeur system in 2012 and now releases its wines when they deem them ready to drink.
The 78 hectares of vines are planted to 74.2% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23.8 Merlot, 1.8% Cabernet Franc and .02% Petit Verdot. At the heart of Latour's vineyards is a 47-hectare parcel known as 'Enclos', which provides all the fruit for the grand vin. The terroir here is a mixture of deep gravels and “Argile Gonflante" clay. The vines are farmed using organic and biodynamic practices. Vinification is in a mix of stainless steel vats, from very small to very large, allowing for vinification by plots. The second wine, Les Forts de Latour, is made from young vines in and around the Enclos. A third wine, Le Pauillac de Château Latour, is also made.